Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Crafty 2012-2013 Season

Ahhh, finally reemerging from my self-imposed hibernation while I finished my sock pattern.  It has been sent off and submitted, and now the waiting begins!  Time to plan what's next, to avoid the inevitable letdown after finishing a big project.

I kind of consider September 1 to be the start of the "crafting year."  Like Chinese New Year, but for knitting.  And I was thinking, "what do I want to accomplish this season?"

Three notes:
First, I don't imagine I will actually accomplish all of these things.  This is a very ambitious list.

Second, I realize that the list is mostly selfish, and I'm OK with that.  I knit and crochet as my hobby because it makes me happy, and I knit or crochet what makes me happy.  Also, the things on my list for other people are large projects that take a long time.

Third, this list is not in any particular order.

Ok, here we go:

1. Publish the double knit hat pattern I've been working on. (Charts are already done.  I still need to finish up my sample, write up the pattern, and get test knitters.)
Arge Moth

2.  Turn my custom-dyed Skinny Bugga from the Sanguine Gryphon open house into an amazing sweater.

I have three skeins each of a gorgeous purple, Earth-Boring Dung Beetle, and a knock-you-dead teal, Arge Moth.  I'm thinking stripes rather than colorwork, since I don't have enough of either color to make a whole sweater.

Earth-Boring Dung Beetle



3. Knit 12 pairs of socks from stash yarn only.  Stash does include the yarn-of-the-month club shipments I'm currently receiving from Into the Whirled.  Of the 12 pairs:

  • 1 will be the pair I'm finishing up for my FIL (about 55% done currently).
  • 1 should be a new design by me, which I will self-publish on Ravelry.
  • 1 should be a gift pair for a determined recipient whom I will not name so as not to spoil the surprise.
  • 3 should be KALs from Sock Knitters Anonymous, completed according to their requirements.  These KALs should all push me out of my comfort zone in some way.
  • And the rest will be free choice.
4. Finish my Clapotis scarf, knit in Lorna's Laces Honor (alpaca/silk, yum!) in the Zombie BBQ colorway.

5. Finish my Westlake shawl, knit in Into The Whirled Manchester Sock in Vegetable Medley.  Absolutely obnoxious color that I can't wait to wear proudly with my boring gray coat this winter. Finished 9/6/2012!

6. Knit myself a pair of convertible mittens.  I got by with fingerless gloves during last year's warm winter, but I don't think I can do it again.

7.  Finish my nephew X's green blanket.  This is going to take 10 million years, because it's 19 balls of yarn crocheted in a freaking slip stitch pattern, but my goal is to finish it by his birthday in April.

8. Crochet or knit a blanket for my soon-to-be niece, A.  This should really be the only thing on the list I need to buy yarn for.

9. At least come up with a plan for what to do for my husband's sweater.  I already knit a complete one for him, had a problem I thought was unsolvable, and frogged the whole thing.  I later found out I could have easily fixed it, but too late now.

OK, that's what is on my list!  What's on yours?


1 comment:

  1. That's a really good idea, setting yourself a plan for knitting for the year. I did a similar thing for the summer, since I'm a student so that's mostly all the free time I get! Didn't make most of them though, I planned a wayy to ambitious cross stitch piece, that actually got done! But it ate into my knitting time. Good luck getting all that done!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, all comments are moderated. They will usually be approved within 24 hours, but often much sooner.